onsdag 8 december 2010

Weathering yellow

For my Bad Moon orks I start the yellow with Ilyaden Darsun over a black undercoat. I then wash with Devlan mud and repaint the area with Ilyaden darksun leaving Devlan mud where I want my shadows. Next step is to do a highlight using VMC Sand yellow. I use bright highlights for this step, it will look fine as soon as the weathering is done. So, now our yellow is ready for weathering!
Step 1
I start with VGC Dark Fleshtone and a spunge (I used one who came in a blisterpack). I wipe of almost all the paint from the spunge and then I lightly press it against the surface. By making small motions I can control the pattern better.
Step 2
I mix 1.1 VMC Oily Steel with black and repeat the first step, try to get the metalpaint in the  same area. You could do this with a staplerbrush, but I think the spunge works well.
Step 3
Next thing to do is to take some Orange Rust pigments (I use pigments from Forge world, but any brand will do I suppose) and apply it with a brush where you think the rust should be. Don´t be shy on the pigments, you can always remove some later if it get´s to much.
Step 4
For next step I use Dark earth pigments (also from Forge World) and Applied it on the areas I figure that dirt would be. Mostly at the lower half of the armor.
Step 5
I use Black soot pigments and spot it randomly on the armor using a brush.
Step 6 (can be skipped)
I did some randomly parts with Ash grey pigments (from Forge World). About half of the time I skip this step, because it will look fine without it.
Step 7
I took VMC Oily steel and applied it on the parts of the steel color that have been to dark. This is also a choice of taste, do what you think would look best.

So, now you should have a miniature with fine looking weathering and this took me all about 10 minutes at top. Good luck and hope that you liked my step- by- step guide to how I weathering yellow.

Please note! It have come to my attention when applying varnish straight over the pigments the varnish may change the apperance of the pigments. Now, I usually dont varnish my models, but if you want to do so you might get around the problem by applying a coat of varnish after step 2 and then finish with another layer of varnish after the last step.

Until next time, happy painting!



Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar